Fine art reproduction of pen & ink drawking of Carnton Plantation in historic Franklin, Tennessee by Nashville artist Brenda Harness
Click here to see large image.
Carnton was built by Randal McGavock in 1826 and was frequented by important socialites and political figures. Notable among them were Andrew Jackson, Sam Houston, and James K. Polk. Its neo-classical exterior was later updated after his death by his son, Colonel John McGavock, and his wife to a more Greek Revival style by adding a large, two-storied veranda across the back of the house.
Confederate wounded sought out the shelter of Carnton on the evening of November 30, 1864, while the Battle of Franklin raged. On this day, the bodies of four Confederate generals were brought to the veranda, subsequently to be joined in death by 150 soldiers in the house during the night.
In 1866, two acres adjacent to the nearby family cemetery were designated by the McGavocks to reinter nearly 1,500 Confederate dead killed during the battle.
About the artist: Brenda Harness is a practicing artist, art historian, and former university lecturer writing about a variety of topics pertaining to art and art history. She owns Fine Art Touch, a website devoted to the exploration of Italian Renaissance art. Visit her at Fine Art Touch.
CLICK HERE to contact her.
Fine Art Touch is a division of Harness House Inc.