Hand painted oil reproduction of this detail of Christ from Raphael Sanzio's Transfiguration of Christ
Click here to see very large image.
Raphael's Transfiguration of Christ was commissioned by Cardinal Giulio de' Medici (later Pope Clement VII) as one of two paintings for the cathedral of S. Giusto of Narbonne, the city becoming the Cardinal's new bishopric in 1515. Sebastiano del Piombo got the other commission of the Raising of Lazarus. The Cardinal never sent Raphael's Transfiguration of Christ to Narbonne, however, keeping it due to the untimely death of Raphael in 1520. He sent it to the church of S. Pietro in Montorio for the high altar. In 1797, the painting was taken to Paris, but then returned to the papacy in Rome in 1816 after Napoleon's defeat.
This is Raphael's last painting. It rested upon Raphael's funeral bier as he lay in state while thousands of adoring fans passed by to pay homage to one of the greatest artists in history. Raphael remains were interred in the Pantheon.
Original: 1518-20. Oil on wood, 405 x 278 cm, Pinacoteca, Vatican
We paint any size, any image. CLICK HERE to contact us.
rolled canvas (FREE shipping worldwide)
Fine Art Touch is a division of Harness House Inc.